What is the Multi Purpose Taxi Program ?
The Multi Purpose Taxi Program (MPTP) gives members half price taxi fares. It pays up to $30 per trip with some members having a yearly spending limit (Currently $1,045.00 per year). Other members with a certain type of disability (including permanently using a wheelchair) have no yearly spending limit while anyone who can show that they require a higher limit can apply for one.
The program makes transport more accessible for Victorians with certain types of disability and travel can be for any reason. Funding for the program is provided by the State Government of Victoria.
Who Can Become A Member?
You can become a member of the MPTP if you:
· Live in Victoria, and
· Have a severe and permanent disability, and
· Have a disability where you are not able to use public transport by yourself.
To become a member you also need to either:
· Permanently use a wheelchair, or
· Hold a Department of Veterans’ Affairs Pensioner Concession Card or gold Repatriation Health Card, or
· Hold certain means-tested Pensioner Concession or Health Care Cards issued by Centrelink, or
· Be able to show you have financial hardship by providing financial information.
How To Apply To Become A Member
To become a member of the MPTP, both you and your Doctor have to complete an application form.
Once the form has been filled in it should be forwarded to the Victorian Taxi Directorate at the address shown on the form.
To obtain a copy of the form you can either:
· Contact the Victorian Taxi Directorate on (Freecall) 1800 638 802 and ask for a form to be posted to you,
· Contact Ballarat Taxis on (03) 5331 4367 during Office hours and they will post a form to you,
· Download a PDF version of the Multi Purpose Program Application Form from:
the Victorian Taxi Directorate website - www.transport.vic.gov.au/taxis.
Which Taxis Honour The Multi-Purpose Taxi Program Card?
Program cards are valid for travel in all Victorian taxi-cabs.
A taxi driver must honour a valid card presented for travel within the limits of the card conditions.
Victorian members can get the same discount when they travel in taxis in other states for a limited number of trips.
Contact the Victorian Taxi Directorate at least 2 weeks prior to travelling interstate to get the number of interstate vouchers you will need.
You can get 10 vouchers for each of 7 days that you will be away, up to a maximum of 50 vouchers per interstate trip.
Contacting The Victorian Taxi Directorate
The Manager – Multi Purpose Taxi Program,
Victorian Taxi Directorate,
Level 6, 14 – 20 Blackwood Street,
(PO Box 666)
NORTH MELBOURNE 3051
Phone: (03) 9320 4361 / FreeCall: 1800 638 802
Fax: (03) 9320 4339
Booking A Ballarat Taxi
Telephone 131 008 for all taxi bookings. (including wheelchair vehicles)
This number operates 24 hours a day – every day of the year.